This is a breaking story and will be updated as we receive new details.
Six soldiers have been hospitalized after someone deliberately drove into them on a Paris street and then drove away. A suspect was later confronted and taken into custody after a shootout.
The attack took place early Wednesday morning, as the soldiers were on patrol near their barracks.
A man has been shot and arrested in the search for the driver responsible for this morning’s suspected terrorist attack in Paris, which saw six soldiers injured.
A police official said the arrest on the A16 motorway in northern France turned violent, and officers opened fire on the suspect.
The man was stopped as police hunted for cars suspected of involvement in the attack, which saw a BMW mow down an anti-terrorism patrol in Paris.
Two soldiers are reported to have been seriously injured in the incident, which took place at about 8am local time.
Police officials said witnesses described seeing a dark-coloured BMW with one person inside waiting in a cul-de-sac near a building used for soldiers from the Sentinelle security force, which was created after the Paris terrorist attacks in 2015.
The BMW drove into the group as they were leaving their barracks, before speeding off.
The mayor of Levallois-Perret, Patrick Balkany, said the incident had ‘without any doubt’ been deliberate.
Mr Balkany claimed that the driver of the BMW had been ‘parked up in wait close to the barracks’ before speeding into the soldiers.
‘It’s an odious act of aggression,’ Balkany told BFM TV.
Here is video from the scene, provided by The Daily Mail.