One of the most frequently used weapons in the #NeverTrump camps arsenal is the meme that Trump and Hillary are basically the same person politically.
While Trumps previously stated positions on just about every issue rightly gives his critics reason to be skeptical to the point of opposition, as the campaign goes it will be clear that a lot of what he says, particularly on immigration and national security, are going to be things that he will be accountable for, whether he agrees with them or not. Otherwise the political firepower trained at the Democrats right now will be turned back around on him.
If he fails to perform #NeverTrump people will hoot about how they told us so. It wont be because they have some special insight into the future that the rest of us don’t have, it will be that they simple ended up on the winning side of a gamble.
Whatever. Riddle me this #NeverTrump, which of the following bullet points lifted from Hillary Clinton’s website proves that Trump simply her clone?
As president, Hillary Clinton will:
* Defend President Obama’s executive actions to provide deportation relief for DREAMers and parents of Americans and lawful residents, and extend those actions to additional persons with sympathetic cases if Congress refuses to act and enact comprehensive immigration reform to create a pathway to citizenship, keep families together, and enable millions of workers to come out of the shadows.
* Defend President Obama’s DACA and DAPA executive actions. President Obama’s executive actions that provide relief from deportation for DREAMers and parents of Americans and lawful residents would protect an estimated 5 million people. Hillary will defend DACA and DAPA against partisan attacks and politically motivated lawsuits that would put DREAMers and others at risk of deportation.
* Create a national Office of Immigrant Affairs to ensure successful immigrant and refugee integration in every community. Given the cross-cutting nature of immigrant integration policy concerns, Hillary believes it is critical that there be a proactive effort to coordinate policies and programs across federal agencies and with state and local governments.
* Expand access to affordable health care to all families. Hillary has been fighting her entire life to ensure that families have access to affordable health care. She sponsored the Immigrant Children’s Health Improvement Act in the Senate, which later became law and allows immigrant children and pregnant women to obtain Medicaid and SCHIP.
* Close private immigrant detention centers. Hillary will end private immigrant detention centers. She believes we should move away from contracting out this critical government function to private corporations and private industry incentives that may contribute—or have the appearance of contributing—to over-incarceration.
Answer: None of them. We have one candidate who knows there’s no place for illegal immigration in a functioning society. Meanwhile, the other candidate doesn’t know the difference between illegal immigrants and American citizens.