While many are concerned about shark attacks this summer, it seems a new threat has reared its ugly head…and it may be even worse.
A teenager was recently left hospitalized after he was savagely attacked by blood-thirsty sea creatures who began to eat his leg while he was taking a dip. Sam Kanizay, a 16-year-old Australian boy, was soaking his legs after a football game, when suddenly he noticed that his feet and ankles were drenched in blood.
He was immediately rushed to the hospital by parents, hoping to get some answers—unfortunately, doctors were baffled. They’d never seen anything like it, and had no idea what could cause such a wound. Jarrod, the boy’s dad, wasn’t satisfied, however.
Armed with a fishing net and some bait, he darted back to the beach and managed to capture hundreds of the creatures that he believes were responsible for his son’s wound. He has since posted a graphic video of the bizarre piranha-like creatures ravaging a piece of meat to prove his case.
The Sun reports:
A TEENAGER was left hospitalised after he was savaged by blood-thirsty sea creatures who started “eating” his legs when he took a dip in Australia.
Sam Kanizay, 16, was soaking his legs at Dendy Street Beach, Brighton, after a football match when his feet and ankles were left shredded and covered in blood.
Doctors could not explain what had caused the teen’s gruesome injuries, which left his feet looking like they had been through a “mincer”, so dad Jarrod decided to investigate.
Armed with a fishing net and a slab of fresh meat he headed back the beach and captured hundreds of the creatures he believes were responsible.
He has since posted a stomach-churning video of the creatures feasting on chunks of raw meat to prove his case.
Jarrod Kanizay said the family was waiting for answers as the doctors had been at a loss to explain what had eaten through Sam’s skin.
“No one knows what the creatures are. They’ve called a number of people, whether it’s toxicity experts or marine experts and other medics around Melbourne at least … (and) yep, no one (knows),” he said.
“When he got out, he described having sand on his legs, so he went back in the water.
While many doctors are befuddled by the strange flesh-eating sea bugs, one man believes that he has the answer. Richard Reina, Associate Professor at Monash University’s School of Biological Sciences, believes that the wound was caused by ferocious sea lice.
“When it happens you brush it off, or move, or get out of the water and there’s no consequence, whereas in this case, Sam was standing in cold water for quite a long time,” the professor said. “He probably thought the pins and needles he described was the cold and didn’t realize there were crustaceans chewing on his feed.”
Unfortunately, it isn’t an isolated incident, either—there’s been cases all throughout beaches in the USA, such as this one in Florida.
CBS also did a report the dangerous creatures. “Sea lice can get caught in swimming suits and t-shirts,” according to this biologist. She says that the lice are baby jellyfish, sometimes so small that you can’t even see them. “Sea lice are tiny offspring of jellyfish—they’re about the sign of a grain of pepper.”
While biologists claim that the creatures aren’t typically deadly, many parents across the nation are horrified at the gruesome turn of events. If you value your children’s safety, be sure to tell them about these ferocious little creatures, or they may end up in the hospital.
They typically aren’t dangerous if you move around, but if you happen to stay still, they can eat quite a bit of your flesh. Experts recommend that you put a thick layer of sunscreen onto your skin, as it acts as a deterrent to the ravenous little creatures—and while the creatures aren’t typically life-threatening, it’s best not to take any chances.