BREAKING: Over 230 Dead in Terror Attack – Here Are the Details (VIDEO AND FIRST PHOTOS)


This is a breaking story, Details will be added as they become available.

Over 230 are dead and over 120 are injured after Islamic extremists used both a bomb and automatic weapons on innocent civilians.


The attack took place at a mosque in the town of Bir al-Abd in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, and it is the deadliest domestic terror attack in the country’s history.

Initial reports say the attack was carried out by ISIS sympathizers, and the victims are worshippers at a Sufi mosque. Sufis are an offshoot of Sunni Islam, and ISIS likely sees them as too moderate. Even so, the attack itself is unusual, as ISIS tends to target authorities and Christians, not other Muslims.

After setting off a bomb in the mosque, the terrorists waited outside and opened fire on worshippers as they fled.

take our poll - story continues below

Who should replace Nikki Haley as our ambassador to the U.N.?

  • Who should replace Nikki Haley as our ambassador to the U.N.?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Silence is Consent updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Trending: FLASHBACK: Trump Accuser Was Paid $500,000 TO LIE FOR HILLARY

Video and photos are included below.

Fox News has more.

The security officers said the men opened fire on worshipers during prayers while driving in off-road vehicles. A Ministry of Health spokesman said the terrorists set off a bomb during the attack.

“They (the extremists) were shooting at people as they left the mosque,” a resident told Reuters.

“They were shooting at the ambulances too,” the resident continued.

The victims were reportedly being transported to hospitals to be treated. Security officials told local media ISIS militants were blocking escape routes from the area by blowing up cars and leaving the burning wrecks in the street.

The BBC reported Egyptian President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi will meet with security forces Friday. Sky News reported the Egyptian Government declared a three day period of mourning following the mosque attack.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

The attack was the largest single targeting of Egyptian civilians and the first on a large mosque congregation since the ISIS affiliate began its campaign of violence against the state following the military’s 2013 overthrow of an elected but divisive Islamist president.

Last month, militants attacked police in the Western Desert, killing 16 officers. Security officials have told journalists that dozens more, including high-ranking counterterrorism officers, perished in the Oct. 20 attack some 84 miles southwest of the capital, Cairo.

Here are photos from the scene provided via social media.

Here is video of regional news coverage of the attack, in English.

We will update this story as details develop.

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please hover over that comment, click the ∨ icon, and mark it as spam. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.