As tensions between the USA and North Korea have risen to an all-time high, many are grappling with the question of a Third World War. While our officials have stated that diplomacy will be a favorable option, Mattis has officially warned the Army to be ready at a minute’s notice in case diplomacy fails.
South Korean lawmaker Rhee Cheol-hee informed the BBC this morning that North Korean hackers had successfully breached U.S. war plans, along with other sensitive information. Silence is Consent previously reported on this, noting that the incredibly aggressive move on Kim Jong Un’s part could prompt a physical conflict.
So far the South Korean Defense Ministry has refused to comment on the situation, but U.S. officials are worried that this may spark an other global conflict. The compromised documents not only included plans to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, but also wartime contingency plans drawn up by the U.S. and South Korea.
Reports to high ranking officials were also compromised, and as South Korea scrambles to keep the situation under control, many are wondering how North Korean hackers could breach a supposedly secure system. Rhee Cheol-hee, a South Korean lawmaker, told the BBCthat this information came straight from his country’s Defense Ministry.
Now, after North Korea smacked U.S. officials in the face by hacking our systems, President Trump and Secretary of State have been preparing for the worst. They’ve noted that our relationship with North Korea still remains a diplomatic one, but Mattis urged members of the military to be prepared in case the situation escalated.
“It is right now a diplomatically, economic-sanctions-buttressed effort to try and turn North Korea off of this path,” Mattis said at the annual AUSA conference in Washington, D.C. “What does the future hold? Neither you nor I can say.”
Army Times reports that “tensions with North Korea have ratcheted up since the start of the year, following a series of missile launches that culminated in a nuclear test on Sept. 3. They add that President Trump has regularly issued provocative tweets, and has taken to calling North Korean leader Kim Jong Un “rocket man.”
Our country has been unsuccessfully dealing with North Korea for 25 years, giving billions of dollars & getting nothing. Policy didn't work!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 9, 2017
President Trump has also repeatedly noted that foreign policy with North Korean has not worked—they took advantage of our energy deals in the 1990’s, the ignored Bush, disrespected Obama, and now they’re threatening global stability during Trump’s reign. Unfortunately, it appears that violence may be the only solution this time around.
America’s relationship with North Korea remains a diplomatic one, Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis said Monday, but he urged members of the military to be prepared in case the situation breaks down.
Mattis also used his keynote speech at the annual AUSA conference in Washington, D.C., to thank allies who have stood with the U.S. through the ages.
Experts previously believed that North Korea would attempt some sort of launch or detonation today in honor of their communist party’s founding anniversary, but so far nothing has happened. As tensions rise, and tempers flare up however, things could change in an instant.