Editor’s Note: Some of the details of this story are not safe for work.
Scott Baio came out swinging this morning against allegations that he sexually assaulted his co-star when she was 14. Video of his comments are included below.
In an appearance on “Good Morning America” this morning, Baio countered allegations made by Nicole Eggert, who was his co-star on the 1980s sitcom “Charles in Charge.” Eggert appeared on NBC’s “Megyn Kelly Today” on Tuesday to make the accusations, which included a sexual assault when she was 14.
Eggert made the accusation last week on Twitter, leading Baio to go on Facebook Live on Saturday to refute the claims. He said he and Eggert had a one-time sexual encounter years later, after “Charles in Charge” was off the air and she was over 18. You can click here to read our coverage of Eggert’s initial claim and watch Baio’s Facebook Live response.
Both TMZ and The Dr. Oz Show passed on covering Eggert’s claims initially, after Baio provided evidence that Eggert had changed her story about their relationship several times over the years. In past interviews, Eggert had claimed their relationship happened when she was an adult and made no accusations of wrongdoing.
After Eggert appeared with Megyn Kelly, Dr. Oz decided to run their show after all, leading Baio to appear on ABC’s “Good Morning America” to push back against the claims.
During an interview on “Good Morning America,” Baio said Eggert was lying and that the whole affair was doing terrible damage to his own underage daughter.
“My 10-year-old daughter does not need to be hearing about this from friends at school,” he told interviewer Amy Robach. “Her job is to be 10 years old, and that’s why this has got to stop.”
“Her story keeps changing, she makes up new things and by the way, I am not the first person she’s done this to,” he added.
Baio insisted that since Eggert was a minor when she started work on the ’90s sitcom, he would never have been alone with Eggert on set and that it would have been impossible for him to have engaged in any misconduct without a lot of people seeing it.
“It was impossible because when a child is on a set, they’re either in school or they’re on the set with a teacher and their parents,” he said.
The Baio interview comes after Eggert took the stage on NBC with Megyn Kelly to expand upon her accusations.
Eggert told Kelly that Baio penetrated her with his finger when she was 14.
“That happened quite often, through the age of 16,” she said of the touching. “More than 10 times, more like probably once a week. And then on set, there was just a lot of groping, a lot of fondling, a lot of pulling me on his lap, trying to sneak kisses in the back, which other cast members saw.”
“The issue with him is that he was our boss,” she continued. “He also was telling me, you know, ‘You can’t tell anybody, this is illegal, I’ll go to jail. The show will be over, everybody will be sued. You’ll be out of a job and you’ll ruin everybody’s life.’”
Here is the video.
Scott Baio denies sexual misconduct allegations: “My 10-year-old daughter does not need to be hearing about this from friends at school – these false allegations…that’s why this has got to stop.” pic.twitter.com/5jdJgalA9z
— Good Morning America (@GMA) January 31, 2018