We now know how rocker Tom Petty died, and fans will be saddened to learn that his death was due to his desire to keep rocking and performing.
Petty’s family, including his wife and daughter, has released details of his autopsy, which reveal he died from an accidental drug overdose.
The iconic rocker had been taking several pain medications, and the family revealed it was because Petty had suffered a fractured hip, but wanted to continue touring and performing. Eventually, the fracture worsened into a break, causing Petty to up his medication. It is believed that his efforts to curb his pain led to the accidental overdose.
Dana and Adria Petty said they got the results from the coroner’s office earlier in the day that the overdose was caused due to a variety of medications.
‘We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident,’ his family wrote.
It was also confirmed that while he had been touring with a fractured hip, Petty’s fracture had escalated into a total break leading up to his untimely death.
‘Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications,’ the family wrote in the statement.
‘As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives.’
They added: ‘On a positive note we now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most.’
The statement was posted moments before the Los Angeles coroner’s office issued its official findings, which confirmed that Petty had a variety of medications, including fentanyl and oxycodone in his system.