Tom Petty’s Death Was an Accident Due to an Injury He Kept Secret, Family Reveals


Tom Petty

We now know how rocker Tom Petty died, and fans will be saddened to learn that his death was due to his desire to keep rocking and performing.


Petty’s family, including his wife and daughter, has released details of his autopsy, which reveal he died from an accidental drug overdose.

The iconic rocker had been taking several pain medications, and the family revealed it was because Petty had suffered a fractured hip, but wanted to continue touring and performing. Eventually, the fracture worsened into a break, causing Petty to up his medication. It is believed that his efforts to curb his pain led to the accidental overdose.

The Daily Mail reports.

Dana and Adria Petty said they got the results from the coroner’s office earlier in the day that the overdose was caused due to a variety of medications.

take our poll - story continues below

Should Brett Kavanaugh withdraw over sexual misconduct allegations?

  • Should Brett Kavanaugh withdraw over sexual misconduct allegations?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to Silence is Consent updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

‘We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident,’ his family wrote.

It was also confirmed that while he had been touring with a fractured hip, Petty’s fracture had escalated into a total break leading up to his untimely death.

‘Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications,’ the family wrote in the statement.

‘As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives.’

They added: ‘On a positive note we now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most.’

The statement was posted moments before the Los Angeles coroner’s office issued its official findings, which confirmed that Petty had a variety of medications, including fentanyl and oxycodone in his system.

Post your thoughts on the passing of Tom Petty in the comments section below. In addition, share this on social media.

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.